Devils Struggle, Defeat Harlem 24-7

September 07, 2007

Friday night in Harlem was a great night football, but unfortunately neither team played a great game. Fumbles and penalties kept the game close until the second half.

Lincoln County turned the ball over four times and had seven penalties as our Devils showed their inexperience.

Sophomore A. G. Middlebrooks broke free on a 66-yard scamper with 2:19 left in the game to put aside any notion of late-game heroics by the home-standing Bulldogs. He finished the game with 117 yards rushing on 10 carries, and 67 yards receiving on 4 catches.

Our Devils are now 2-0, but face the unenviable task of traveling to Tiger Stadium in Washington next Friday night to take on a group of mad Tigers. Washington-Wilkes was beaten by Thomson 34-6 in the Brickyard Friday night to begin 2007 0-2.

After exchanging punts to open the first half, the Devils started their second possession at the 50. QB Austin Goldman hit Middlebrooks for 10 yards and then found newcomer Tyler Tonsing for 18 yards to setup a first down at the Bulldog 22. A. G. gained 6, wiht 5 more tacked on for a facemask infraction. Jamareon Green rushed for 4, followed by Alex Ellis for 4. Carlous Hearst scored from 3 yards out behind the 2007 "meat" formation. Vance Tarver booted the PAT with 1:05 left in the opening quarter.

Neither team appeared to want to be on offense in the second quarter as they kept giving the pigskin back to their opponent. Lincoln's turnovers came inside the Harlem 25.

With less than a minute to go in the half, Harlem recovered a Devil fumble at the LC 35. After 2 incompletions, the Bulldogs connected on a 10-yard pass and then a 20-yard pass for the touchdown. The PAT kick tied the game with 11 ticks left in the first half.

After forcing a punt on Harlem's first possession of the second half, the Devils drove from their 37 to the Harlem 26 before the drive was stymied. On 4th-and-8, Goldman found a wide-open Ellis on the left side, and Ellis walked into the endzone for the tie-breaking touchdown.

Two plays later sophomore lineman Marquis Parks recovered a Harlem punt at the 21. Runs by Middlebooks and Jamareon Green moved the ball inside the 10, but the Devils could get no closer. Tarver booted a 26-yard field goal in the waning moments of the third quarter to put the Devils up 17-7.