Devils Fall on W-W Big Plays

September 08, 2013

Lincoln County took an early lead last Friday in Washington, but big plays enabled the home-standing Tigers to win 28-14 in the 76th meeting between the two football stalwarts.

Mike McIntire returned the opening kickoff about 20 yards to the LC 30. QB Lakeith Lockhart passed to Jamar Norman in the right flat with Norman scampering 54 yards down the right sideline. From the Tiger 16, Lockhart rushed for 7 yards, followed by runs of 3, 3, and 1 by McIntire. On 3rd-&-goal from the 2, Lockhart tossed to Norman in the right slot, and Norman stepped into the endzone for the opening score. James Spratlin's PAT gave the Devils a 7-0 lead with 9:32 left in the opening period.

Both teams punted on their next two possessions, with the Tigers starting at their 45 with just under three minutes left in the first quarter. Two passes picked up a first down to the LC 41. On 3rd-&-3 from the 34, Tiger quarterback Deandre Harris took off for the endzone, scoring with one minute left in the quarter. The PAT kick tied the game at 7-all.

The Devils failed to make a first down on their next possession. From midfield, the Tigers tried a pass on their next offensive play, but Tyquane Ross intercepted and returned the pigskin to the WW 39. McIntire runs gained most of the yards as the Devils drove to the Tiger 9, where they faced 2nd-&-8. The Tigers intercepted and returned the ball to their 36. On the next play Harris again showed off his speed and agility, this time for 64 yards and the go-ahead touchdown. The PAT kick failed, but W-W led 13-7 with 7:38 left in the half.

Norman returned the kickoff 17 yards to the LC 22. McIntire rushed for 18 to the LC 40. Two more carries by McIntire put the ball at the LC 49. Lockhart then showed the big crowd there was another quarterback who could run as he rushed 51 yards for paydirt, going down the left side and breaking two tackles. Spratlin's kick put the Devils up 14-13 with 5:33 left before the bands took the field.

Neither team seriously threatened the remainder of the half. Fred Crite intercepted a Tiger pass to end the half.

The Tigers fumbled on the first play from scrimmage in the second half, with the Devils recovering at the WW 30. Three plays and a penalty pushed the Devils back and forced a punt.

The Tigers started from their 12, keeping the ball mostly on the ground. The Tiger sophomore quarterback again did the most damage, this time with a 38-yard run that was barely stopped at the 20. Harris then passed to Treybon Booker for the touchdown. The PAT pass failed, but the Tigers led 19-14 with seven minutes left in the third quarter.

The Devils put together a 10-play drive starting at their 20 that stopped at the WW 40. Jalen Turner returned the put 80 yards to the LC 15. The Devil Defense stiffened, with the Tigers settling for a 28-yard field goal with 11 minutes left in the game. W-W led 22-14.

Lincoln County's next possession ended at midfield, with a punt to the Tiger 18. A 41-yard pass moved the Tigers to the LC 30 before the Devil Defense stopped the drive.

After the Tiger punt, Big Red started at their 15. A pass attempt on first down was intercepted at the LC 26 with 5:15 left. The Tigers scored on a 3-yard run to all but seal the victory with 1:51 left and a 28-14 lead.

Lincoln County moved into Tiger territory on their final drive, but the effort ended with an interception as time expired.

For the game, Mike McIntire rushed for 98 yards on 24 carries, with 2 pass receptions for 27 yards. Lakeith Lockhart completed 6 of 12 pass attempts for 82 yards before leaving the game with an injury in the second half.

The game was played before a large crowd at Tiger Stadium and with WJBF broadcasting the game live over Channel 6.2 and their mobile phone app.

The Red Devils' game with Ninety Six has been moved from this Friday to Thursday, September 19, at 7:00pm. Directions to the Ninety Six stadium will be provided in next week's Journal.

(Our thanks to Sparky Newsome and The Journal for the photos.)