Spartans Return to BBF This Friday in Much Bigger Game
November 24, 2003
This time it really counts.
Athens Academy makes its second trip this season to Lincolnton's Buddy Bufford Field, but this game means so much more than the Spartans' visit in September. Our Red Devils whipped the Spartans 35-7 when the visitors from the Athens area were hampered by injuries.
Now the football cleats are on the other foot, so to speak, as the Devils have wore out the road to the doctors and hospitals this season, and the Spartans have their best quarterback ready to play.
The Spartans have won five of their last seven on their way to a 7-4 record. Their last two losses were to Commerce 34-7 and Jefferson 13-9, both of which are still in the playoffs this week. The Athens Banner-Herald reports that David Blanton is now taking most of the snaps at QB, with Chris Rogers making most of the yards and scores.
Athens Academy links:
The second round of Class A playoffs feature some very good matchups.
- Calvary Baptist, undefeated except for a few minutes this season, must travel into the swamp to Homerville to take on powerhouse Clinch County.
- Twiggs County travels to Landmark Christian, or wherever the game will be played.
- Miller County, a Class A power for many years, travels to Hawkinsville to try to give Quizzy bragging rights over AHill and OT (it's a "Vent thing").
- Commerce will host Bremen, but best be careful not to look forward to a third round trip to Hawkinsville.
- Metter will host Atkinson County in what could be another busy night for the Flying Tigers and their super QB Zack Standford.
- Jefferson will travel to Trion, where the Bulldogs look to extinguish the Dragons from Jackson County.
- Dooly County travels to Columbus to claw Pacelli, or so they think.
For other local teams in the second round, Thomson's Bulldogs will host 5-time champion Thomas County Central in Class AAAA, and Washington County will host Fitzgerald in Class AAA.